Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Abortion as an option

My daughter's pregnancy is going along well.  Her baby (a boy!) seems to be developing healthily.  They do a bunch of genetic testing now, far more than 18 years ago when I was last pregnant.  One of the tests came back showing my daughter as a carrier for Gaucher's disease.  This, apparently, is a common genetic disorder with Ashkenazi Jews.  My husband is also a carrier.  So the OB/GYN wanted my son in law to come in for testing.  There is a 1 in 112 chance that he might be a carrier too.  We really doubt this as he has no Ashkenazi background at all.  And outside those circles your chances of carrying it are very remote.  I read up a tiny bit on Gaucher's.  I honestly don't understand exactly what it is, but there are different types and Type 1, the one most Ashkenazis carry is very mild.  Not debilitating or fatal or anything.  So in the slight chance that the baby does have it, the type he is mostly likely to have is a very mild condition.

The OB/GYN, however, took this opportunity to tell my daughter, that she has the option to abort the baby if my son in law's testing does come back as a carrier.

Abortion for what is most likely a mild condition.

This mindset is eugenics through the back door.  This is what happens when you make your pro-choice mantra that every baby should be 'wanted.'  As if they were merchandise one was ordering.  Of course we don't want unhealthy babies, that's too hard.  We want perfect babies!  And babies aren't people until they exit the womb, so it is ok to abort a baby if it might not be perfect.

This is the abortion mindset most of the medical community here in the U.S has.  This scares the hell out of me and is my main reason for being frightened of universal healthcare.  If the folks pushing it weren't also pushing late term abortions and forcing nuns to pay for contraceptives and pushing children to take gender bending drugs and teens to get mastectomies so they 'transition', and surrogacy, and assisted suicide, etc I might think differently.  But the truth is I think the medical community and the scientific community are really short on ethics.  I don't want them to have control.   I do not trust their motives or their reasoning. I do want the poor to get healthcare, but I don't want to give control to the government.

This is why Northam could say what he said when asked about a baby delivered alive from a late term abortion.  Because the doctors themselves don't see the babies as human.  They are taught and they embrace an ideology that leaves them cold-blooded and blind.  You can see this mentality in ex-abortion workers.  Abbey Johnson' s ministry is to people who work in the industry and for some reason or another they see the light one day and realize the deeply evil thing they are complicit in.  It's a whole paradigm shift for them.  A painful, life altering one.  It takes that much.  It's a Road to Damascus kind of thing to break out of the diabolic mindset a la Hillary Clinton and see that babies in utero are human too.

Lately, I've really become convicted, even more than I already was, just how evil abortion is.  It truly eats away at our society's morality.  It's repercussions spread throughout our culture.  The sexual revolution, spurred on by legalizing abortion has done untold damage.  It may bring us down in the end.  It may be a fatal blow to us.

Luckily my daughter works with special ed kids every day and isn't frightened by the idea of an imperfect son.  Or maybe she is frightened but not enough to kill him for it.  She thinks everyone has intrinsic worth not dependent on being wanted or being perfect.  Just being is enough to warrant one's right to life.

No comments:

Post a Comment