Monday, May 7, 2018

Scrambled Eggs with Salmon and Goat Cheese

We've been trying to eat salmon regularly.  R usually grills on Sundays and we often put a salmon steak on.  We used to just buy a bottle of teriyaki sauce and dump it over the salmon before grilling.  But that's got soy in it, so no good.  R tried to buy non soy sauces but we just didn't like them.  Last night I made a marinade I found here, which is more Italian in flavoring with the oregano and basil, lemon juice and olive oil.  It was delicious but we still had some leftover.  This is because when R grills he can never just grill one thing.  We also had shrimp and hot dogs.  So there is always something left over on Monday mornings. 

Well, I never know what to do with leftover salmon.  Sometimes I'd try to throw it onto a salad, but usually it just goes to waste (or to the compost bin - which seems like a real sin since it is very pricey).  But this a.m. I was feeling creative.  I think because I wasn't dealing with the teriyaki flavor, I felt like it made the salmon more versatile.  Anyway, I had recently been reading about kippers in scrambled eggs, so that gave me an idea.  And my idea was delicious! 

Ingredients:
Ghee (I broke down and bought ghee!  It's worth it!  I'd really missed that taste of butter!  And it actually has anti-inflammatory properties!  But none of the bad stuff! Can you tell I'm excited!)
Fresh eggs (pastured eggs are higher in omega 3's)
Leftover salmon (also high in omega 3's!)
Goat cheese

Crack your eggs and whisk (I add a touch of water to help break them up)
Melt some ghee in your pan (it seems really rich to me, so I just lightly coated the pan)
Pour in the eggs
Quick chop up your leftover salmon and sprinkle it into the eggs
Scrambled it all together until done to your liking
At the very end when the eggs are cooked and nice and hot, crumble some goat cheese over it all
Salt and pepper to your taste.

It was delicious and healthy!
And except for the plastic wrapper the goat cheese came in, and I suppose the jar the ghee is in, it is pretty much zero waste!  The salmon came wrapped in compostable butcher paper.

I wish I'd thought to take a photo.





No comments:

Post a Comment