I made this coleslaw with green instead of red cabbage (because that's what I had) and it was delicious! I think it will be even better next time when I do make it with red cabbage just like Cava Grille. By the way, I just chopped up the cabbage and grated the carrots. I didn't bother to get out a blender or food processor (which I haven't used in eons and have a vague memory I couldn't find all the parts last time anyway). Either I am getting better at chopping more efficiently or am just lazy about cleaning up, but to me it is much easier to chop and then clean a knife and cutting board instead of having to deal with cleaning out my blender.
The recipe I used is from this site.
(I had a fairly large head of green cabbage so I wound up using maybe about a bit more than half of it.)
Original recipe:
1 small head of red cabbage, shredded (I just chopped up small)
4 large carrots, shredded (I used my handy-dandy 4 sided grater)
4 green onions, thinly sliced (I picked out the 4 largest in my bunch)
The dressing makes the dish!
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 garlic clove, minced (I cheated and used a dollop of already minced garlic from a jar)
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar (I used Bragg's)
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 tbsp of honey
1/4 tsp vanilla extract (thought this was a weird ingredient and couldn't really taste it over the vinegar but maybe it helps?)
1/4 tsp chili powder
salt and pepper to taste
(Parsley to garnish - I didn't have any fresh parsley because the parsley I was growing on my kitchen counter died. But this dish is so colorful, you don't really need it. However, the parsley might also help cut the vinegar flavor a bit. So I say, if you have fresh parsley, use it!)
I did add a splash more olive oil when making this because I do find that apple cider vinegar is pretty overpowering.
People loved this coleslaw! It tastes even better the next day! This one is a definite keeper. I think the key for my family is they love raw carrots (one of the few vegetables everybody will eat happily). So the fact that there is a lot of shredded carrot in this recipe, made the cabbage more palatable for them. Also, this isn't a mayonnaise based dressing, which half the family objects to.
Winner!
No comments:
Post a Comment