First of all, here is a great link to wonderful reviews of Heyer's books. I don't necessarily agree with everything the author there writes. I think she wants to insert her very contemporary sensibilities into Heyer's framework a bit too much or she is very busy judging Heyer based on those contemporary sensibilities. And while I think she does some great analysis, I also think at times she misses the mark and gets a little too dogmatic or literal or something in her own way. But still! Reading intelligent reviews of Heyers' books is a rare find! And at a science fiction site, no less!
But anyway, I read The Talisman Ring while flying up to Boston and then hanging out in hotels rooms. It was a very fun read but for the life of me I can not remember why the talisman ring was the crucial evidence!
The story revolves around Sir Tristam, age 31, who is now head of his family and has agreed to marry flighty and very young Eustacie, his cousin, to keep the money in the family. But Eustacie is romantic and finds Sir Tristam old and fusty. She runs away one night and winds up meeting her long lost cousin who has been in hiding because of a murder he supposedly committed three years before. The cousin gets wounded as they try to avoid the excismen (he's turned smuggler) and the two wind up hiding at a nearby inn. Here they meet Sarah Thane and her older brother, Sir Hugh Thane.
As the story moves on with many comedic scenes, we find that another cousin Basil might be a suspect. There's lots of mystery surrounding just what happened that fatal night three years before and lots of well crafted incidental personalities pop in and out of the story. Eustacie and her smuggler cousin make a charming couple but you know Sir Tristam is going to wind up with Miss Thane. This is a mystery/comedy/romance with lots of fun dialogue and action.
A thumping good read! For more book reviews to go to Read 52 Books in 52 Weeks.
No comments:
Post a Comment