We've just completed our 16th year of homeschooling. I've now graduated three kids from high school (well, technically Josh hasn't graduated quite yet. He's got a ceremony with the homeschool group on 6/17. And he does have to finish up his Advanced Math which will take a few more weeks.) Anyway, this year has been rough (isn't every homeschool year rough for some reason or another?). Seano's diagnosis this past summer really put everything into kind of a tailspin. Coping with so many appointments and trying to get medication adjusted, etc made things kind of topsy turvy both in terms of time management but also especially emotionally. This ended with Sean attending a school at the beginning of April. He's come to really like it but that particular school isn't a good fit. I want to homeschool him again, but he really, truly wants to go to school. I've been looking around at our options with a lot of trepidation and frustration. But this week I made some phone calls and now I'm feeling hopeful. Next Monday we have an appointment with the admissions director of the special ed program at my old high school! If that doesn't pan out I am becoming more and more open to the idea of attending the public high school down the road.
This year I've really been torn in three different directions. Home schooling Josh for high school was one of the most frustrating things I've ever done! I am so glad it has come to an end and he can take charge of his life now. So that was one very distracting and discouraging thing. Then the whole hullabaloo with Seano. I think it will take years to really get a handle on all the repercussions of that. And then I was trying to homeschool Becky while having to step in and teach the K-3 program at Aquinas Learning. I was just too torn! No wonder I am tired!
So next year (starting from the top):
Hannah will be living at home for the year or at least most of the year, while working and going to grad school.
Will is hoping to spend a semester in Mexico City. We'll see if that works out. Then he's back to Berklee for the spring semester. He already has his housing taken care of for that. But chances are he won't be home.
Josh will be working (if he ever gets a job!) and going to the community college part time. He wants to limit this period of time to one year. I think in the back of his head he's going to Marymount to study business, after taking this coming year off.
Sean - hopefully will be attending high school at O'Connell or the public school.
And Becky and I will be involved in Aquinas Learning. I am supposed to teach Latin I and the writing/literature program (Lost Tools of Writing). Hopefully, we'll really dig in and have a substantial and productive year. I need to get her ready for high school. She has her heart set on attending Oakcrest. She wants to go for 8th grade but I am holding off until 9th grade. Then if things happen in this scenario, I'll be done with homeschooling, though I'd still have two kids attending high school and perhaps an older adult offspring still living at home temporarily.
Wow. I do hope the meeting on Monday turns out well!
My high schooler is taking a few courses at the community college next year - English comp, Western Civ, pre-calc - if you think Josh would prefer to be in class with someone he knows!
ReplyDeleteJosh definitely needs to take a writing course so that might work. He also needs to take a chemistry course. Those might be the only two for next semester. He's probably going to take them at night though. Well, really it depends on his work schedule. But maybe if they both take the same English course, Josh could pick your guy up saving you the driving! Maybe we could work something out (this is payback for all the times you took Becky for me!).
ReplyDelete