Tuesday, June 12, 2012

LIfe right now

Things going on:

We are wrapping up our school year:

Tomorrow is our last Latin class!

Next Tuesday is the last day our math tutor comes until September!

We have to take our CATs this week to fulfill state requirements.

Thursday we have a field trip to do a stream study at an Audubon Nature Sanctuary

We are getting ready to go on our European Adventure!  We leave on Saturday, 6/23, spend 5 days in Paris, one night in Lourdes, then the rest of the time in Spain, in Avila where we hope to do day trips to Madrid and Toledo.  We come back July 7th.  I'm focusing on clothes and suitcases and getting the house clean for the petsitter and dealing with pets' shots (plus a brand new kitten who is a darling rascal) and a million other little things that need to be done before we go.

Becky's 11th birthday on is 7/12.  Luckily she just wants a trip to the American Girl store for her birthday (plus a bazillion American Girl things - she'll get some but not nearly as much as she longs for, which is basically everything they make!).  I feel like I need to make some plans now, because I have no idea what state I'll be in when we get back!

Hannah just took her LSAT yesterday.  She is not happy.  But if she really didn't do well, she can take it again.  Sometimes it really sucks being a woman and having to take a test on a day when an event comes a day early causing painful cramps and making it that much harder to concentrate.  You gotta be tough, if you're a woman!

I've also been a bit busy making plans for our Aquinas Learning Center and trying to plan out the school year for Josh, Sean and Becky.

I've been having a terrible time finishing a book because of my distracted mood right now.  I'm halfway through The Evidential Power of Beauty.  I recently started Another Kind of Learning by Father James Schall.  I'm just at the very end of finishing Anne of Green Gables and Across Five Aprils as read alouds.  I want to finish reading The Gospel of Luke before we leave for our trip.  And I'd also like to finish up The Creed in Slow Motion, but I think that's going to have to happen after we get back.

I'm listening to Peter Kreeft's What Would Socrates Do? on audio.  Nearing the end.  He's on Jean-Paul Sartre.  Sartre is the philosopher I remember the most from my college days.  By the end of my time there I was thoroughly sick of Mr. Sartre and rejected his philosophy wholeheartedly. What a poisonous thing it is.  Professor Kreeft admires Sartre for his intellect and honesty . . . . haven't got to his critique yet.

Will spends his time, sleeping, watching movies, biking all over the place, hanging out with friends, playing guitar and he's also quite helpful around the house.  Every night before Becky goes to sleep, he plays the guitar for her and tells her stories.

Hannah has been focused on the LSAT but she also helps out around the house (lots of cooking), she's been reading Persuasion and she talks a lot via skype to her boyfriend who is back at the Univ. of Dallas taking a summer course.

I can't wait until all things schoolish are over with and we can really focus on a fun summer!






No comments:

Post a Comment