Thursday, December 22, 2011

New Habits for 2012

Still thinking about turning over a new leaf for the new year!

Health

1) Drink more water - if I drink more I'll be hydrated, this will keep me from overeating (which I do when I'm tired). I'll have more energy and be less creaky in my joints if I stay well hydrated.

2) Eat a salad every day. Gotta buy those big Earthbound Farm containers of lettuces and eat through one every week. I know the containers are made of plastic! But, the company is a very good and conscientious one, using recycled bottles for their packaging and all the packaging is recyclable as well. If I have to make a concession about plastic this would be one of companies I'd like to support.

3) Eat more fruits and veggies.

4) Limit bread - and then limit that to mostly bread that is whole wheat. I think when I'm making my own bread for the most part, this will happen naturally.

5) Make sure helpings of carbs and meat are moderate.

6) Drink homemade bone broth every day - make soup every week. I want to become good at making soup! Like the soup Nazi without the unpleasant attitude! LOL!

6) Desserts only on Sundays.

7) Take vitamins and fish oil every day (why am I so inconsistent with this?)

8) Exercise/move/walk/get outside for some meaningful amount of time as much as possible. Once a week at least, I'd like to go on a walk with the kids, to a park or on the bike path, if the weather allows. A different place a week. We can explore.

9) Get kids involved in this without lecturing about it. If I get excited about cooking, they may as well. I want to have them cook alongside me. I have to make note of everything they like. It is all a process that takes time. I need to not get discouraged if they balk at first. Also, I need to somehow get Rick more on board with all this. Must be subtle in my presentation and make food as delicious as possible! Discouragement is my enemy; perseverance is my friend!

Household systems

1) Must get back to my checklist approach which worked! Certain things I do every a.m. and every p.m. help keep the household running smoothly:

A.M.
unload dishwasher (Mom)
laundry (Mom or kids, depending on whose day it is)
10 minute hot spot (Mom)
kitchen clean up before lunch (Mom)

P.M.
Move laundry/put away (Mom or kids)
sort mail (Mom)
evening tidy up (all)
Kitchen clean up before dinner (Mom)
prep dinner (Mom and kids)
set table (kids)
Clean kitchen (all)

2) Make bread in machine while cooking dinner

3) Make bone broth in slow cooker a la Nourishing Gourmet

4) Daily checklists for kids posted on side of fridge.

_____ Prayer (a.m. with kids; night prayers; decade of rosary when getting in the car)

_____ Studies (for Sean - adding in formal composition/grammar to copywork, Lit., math, Latin, read alouds - this is to prep him for school next year. Josh-study for SAT as well as driver's ed, Latin, Pre-Calc, Shakespeare, Chemistry and he'll also be taking an on line composition course starting in January. Becky-continue with Aquinas Learning, copy work, Life of Fred + ten days to multiplication mastery, read alouds.)

_____ Family responsibilities (chores, helping out)

_____ Hygiene

_____ Exercise (walks, runs, Wii Fit, elliptical, ping pong, gym class, jumping rope, work outs)

_____ Meal planning/groceries (each weekend, clean out fridge and shop)

_____ Read alouds in a.m. and p.m. and set time every afternoon for quiet reading.

_____ Be aware of how much time kids are on screen

_____ Connect with kids each day; chatting, working together, reading aloud, walking, etc. Be truly present to them.

5) I also need a set time to work on Aquinas Learning prep. Now I basically run to get supplies on Tuesdays after I drop Becky off at Art and before I pick up Josh from Chem. Then Wednesday night I usually focus on printing out things and making sure everything is together. I'll be helping to teach art this coming year, so I need to plan for that. I'll try to find some time during the weekend to focus on that.

6) Sean is going to work on cheesemaking as his 4H project. Josh is going to learn carpentry from Rick and build something; a real piece of furniture. The little bookcase in the boys room is inadequate. I'll suggest he build a bigger one.

No comments:

Post a Comment