Sunday, July 10, 2011

Sundry Sunday Things


I didn't finish a book this week.  I was too busy watching this!  I finished and thought it was really interesting.  You do have to be a mite wary when watching this around young children.  Every once in a while the professor mentions something to do with sexuality.  It is a college level course and none of it is inappropriate at that level, but it could be confusing for younger kids.  I liked the professor a lot, even though at times I thought he got a little carried away with trying to run out a metaphor as far as he could stretch it.  Sometimes it seemed a bit strained and overblown to me, but on the whole I really enjoyed spending time and learning at the knee (hey in Old and Middle English you'd pronounce that K!) of Dr. Lerer.

http://www.teachingheart.net/minioffice.html

I just stumbled on a new idea (for me, anyway) that I am thinking of using next year with my daughter (and maybe my son, if he wants to).  Here's a link to a blog that describes what she did for her 5th grader.  Since Aquinas Learning involves memory work, I really like the idea of putting a map of the U.S. (she'll be memorizing the states and capitals), diagram of an atom and a simplified periodic table (she'll be studying chemistry), and we can put the Latin and Greek prayers she'll be memorizing along with the Greek alphabet.  I think she'll like making one of these things.  This past year on her own initiative she made a lapbook on St. Elizabeth of Hungary.  She dressed up as St. Elizabeth for our homeschool group's All Saints Day Party.  I had spent October reading the Vision book out loud to her.  I had mentioned lapbooks to her before enthusiastically.  I thought she'd like them because she is so artsy/craftsy, but then I never followed through, because, alas, I am NOT artsy/craftsy.  So she took the bull by the horns and did it herself!  So I think the idea of a mini-office will really appeal to her.




I absolutely love this youtube video.  It has been running through my head all week!  Check out this blog where he writes out the litany for you.

Happy Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment