Sunday, June 2, 2019
A Blunt Instrument - Book 19
Next, chronologically, in Georgette Heyer's murder mysteries (all written in the 1930s - 1940s) that I am currently plowing through, is A Blunt Instrument. This one was wonderful and I guessed correctly whodunit! Maybe guessed is too strong a word, because I don't have that much confidence in my sleuthing abilities, but I did register a strong suspicion which proved to be correct.
Inspector Hannasyde and his sidekick Detective Hemingway try to puzzle out who hit Ernie Fletcher over the head with a blunt instrument while he sat at his desk in his study. Turns out Fletcher had a seedy side to him and lots of people were coming in and out of that study that night. And then halfway through the book, just as the two intrepid detectives think they are on to something, their prime suspect gets murdered too.
There's a lot of fun, eccentric characters, including a scripture quoting policeman on steroids. The way Hemingway and Neville Fletcher, the nephew, interact with him is laugh out loud funny. Really clever. Heyer had to do a lot of mining for obscure Old Testament quotes for this one.
A really fun book I read in 3 days. Two thumbs up!
For more book reviews, go to Read 52 Books in 52 Weeks.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment