Friday, October 12, 2018

Housekeeping 10/12/18

Over the summer, I read that Konmari book.  I never ever got off the ground with it at all, except it did inspire me to organize my clothes.  That's as far as I got.  This has proved to be very helpful now that I get up and first thing have to get dressed to take the puppy out.  I really like having my clothes organized.  I don't even turn the lights on.  For the first time in my life, I fold my clothes when I put them in the drawers!  Never say never!  Today I went thrifting for more fall clothes which was fun. But I have to make sure I have places for the new clothes.

I've been so waylaid by pet happenings, my dog and one of the cats dying this summer.  Then dealing with mental health issues and vacation and getting into the new school groove and Skipper the puppy is a complete handful.  But I really want my house to be decluttered.  I can't seem to do it though.  I'm always spinning my wheels.  I never seem to accomplish much.  I'm just going to have to do it like the tortoise instead of the hare.  I have to bit by bit, when I have the opportunity and the energy, de-junk my home.

So, I am starting a new feature where every Friday I'm going to list what I accomplished no matter how little I might have gotten done that week.  Right now my fall schedule is super busy Monday-Wednesday, less so on Thursday and fairly free on Fridays.  That means I think I should grocery shop and do meal planning mostly on Fridays, along with some housework.  Thursday and Saturday can also be housework focus days as well. 

This week:


  • I cleaned out the pantry a bit.  Wasn't huge but I did tidy it up and reorganize it a bit.
  • I went through a huge stack of old mail and put lots in recycling.  Still have another big box of papers/mail, etc under my desk that needs going through.
  • I decluttered a bit of the mantle and top of the old ice box.  We've been putting everything UP out of the puppy's reach which means everything was piled up in those places to the point where they were in danger of creating a landslide.  
  • I cleaned up the porch a bit.  Still needs more.  The puppy got into all the gardening stuff and old cat stuff, plus the porch just needs a good scrub down.
  • Got a new fridge!  It looks all nice and shiny clean! 
  • This fridge is actually a little smaller than the broken one.  I used to have an old earthen jug up on the top which doesn't fit there anymore (the big salad bowl that won't fit in any cabinet has first dibs on that spot), so I am now putting it on top of the old fashioned ice box and am going to use it to hide all the dog toys are all scattered around the family room all the time.  They didn't have a place to live before.
  • Got all the cardboard recycling that was building up in my room (from gifts) and in the garage and J took it all to the dump for recycling.  That was a big chore that J, B and S all helped with.  J filled the entire back of his CR-V with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment