The word that keeps coming to mind when I think of Lent this year is 'reparations.' I feel called to think in those terms. The state of the world and the division of our country, calls me to do want to do deep penitential things. If I could I'd sit on a corner somewhere, in sackcloth and ashes, plucking the hairs of my beard (well, I do that already being post menopausal!) and crying out: Have mercy on me, O Lord, a sinner!
Everyone is planning to give up various things here. Sweets, eating out, spending so much time on the internet.
I also think we need to have a more structured prayer life going on. At least I do. So upping prayer time is also important.
I am not sure how approach the almsgiving thing. Still have to think that through. The Rice Bowl CRS does never seems to really work for us. We've got affluenza. We can just dump change from around the house in the bowl and it is no sacrifice on our part (though of course, CRS appreciates it no matter what). I know if we don't eat out, we'll probably save money but since I've never kept a budget about it, I have no idea how much money we'd save. I just don't keep track. I must think about this some more before next Wednesday.
Here's a quote from something I read this morning:
"A man who shuns all self-denial offers to God a cheap religion."
And another:
Lent makes some people feel uncomfortable. It is good that it should do so. A comfortable religion is not the highest homage to God. Our Lord was not very comfortable while on earth. His true followers must not mind a little voluntary discomfort on the road of life.
No comments:
Post a Comment