I've decided not to be political anymore on facebook (except when I am in the American Solidarity groups, but there people are having real, nonemotional debate). So I think I'll just post political stuff I've read through the week that struck a chord with me, either because I found it enlightening or because I agree with it or maybe I don't agree with it but found it interesting.
Here is a great article from the New Yorker that analyzes Trump in a detailed and non-partisan way. Very well written. I still think Trump is the Chauncey Gardiner of our time. Everyone just projects onto him what they want or dread the most. Nobody quite has a handle on him because that is how he rolls.
Dave Barry - this is the funniest year in review in a while, I think. How he managed to make 2016 funny. . . . God bless Dave Barry! My favorite line was something like: Bernie Sanders' socialism was the good kind that gives you lots of free stuff, not the bad kind where starving people fight over the last beet at the co-op.)
I remember being so enamored of the U.N. I remember visiting it on field trips in both in high school and in college. I loved its noble ideal. But can you believe who got elected as members of the Human Rights Council? What a sick joke! But on the other hand, maybe there's hope!
Liberal activists calling for level-headedness in the opposition against Trump. Honestly, I am now more afraid of no holds barred, take no prisoners approach toward fighting Trump than I am of Trump! I keep seeing this hashtags #resist etc. They talk about needing to do battle. They use warlike language. Honestly, I think some would love an insurrection. But the thing to do is to build up the party from the ground up. Go back and strengthen it at the local level while Trump is in office. Then they can come back and pick up the pieces.
I think one thing that has caused many people to actually admire Trump's brazen, crass un-PC speech is the growing suppression of free speech in several areas of our society. It might have started here on campuses. Let's stop telling people what they are and are not allowed to say, maybe Trump's appeal will fizzle (it is sure to anyway because I don't think he can deliver).
AEI did this study about people living in political bubbles. Here's the latest result. I was surprised that my area didn't make the top 100. Wow, that means there are places MORE bubbly than here. Scary!
Some of the women in ASP wanted to attend the Women's March on Washington. They kept trying to get a group of pro life feminists together, but they couldn't. Turns out there is a reason why. This is an example, I think of #whytrumpwon. This a group of progressive elites purporting to speak for all women and deliberating ignoring other women. Honestly, I think that liberals who want to understand Trump's win ought to read Mary Eberstadt's It's Dangerous to Believe. I think that is why so many evangelicals and Catholics voted for Trump. Given a choice between two really bad candidates they went with Trump simply because he said he was pro-life. That's how alienating this aggressive pro-abortion stance is. (Of course, Trump lost the popular election so if Hillary's strategy hadn't been so far off, the outcome would have been different.).
I think this is so magnanimous of Hillary Clinton. Kudos to her for caring about the peaceful transition of power more than being bitter.
What the heck was going on with the House Republicans and the Ethics Committee? Huh?
Obama wasn't all bad. Look what he did! Thank you, President Obama!
Oh no! It seems he did a lot of this via executive order. So it can be reversed by any following president. Shoot. Guys, we gotta learn to cooperate with each other!!! None of this imperial presidency stuff. Maybe having the unpredictable, provocative Trump as president is going to make everyone is get better at making sure the presidency doesn't expand and even contracts back to its original ideal. A girl can dream, can't she?
Last one! I think this guy is spot on.
No comments:
Post a Comment