I know, I know, it's February! It is not Christmas anymore! But when I ran across a review of this book on a book blog, I just had to have it. It was just after Christmas day. I am Catholic so Christmas Eve is the official start of the Christmas liturgical season and it doesn't end until the Baptism of Jesus some weeks later. And some people are old fashioned and don't end their own private Christmas liturgical season until February 2nd, Candlemas. So I thought I would be safe to read a Christmas book well after Christmas Day. Unfortunately it didn't arrive until Feb. 3rd. I seriously wondered if I should just put it aside until next year, but then I thought I'd kick up my heels and live a little! LOL. Anyway, so at least I got it read before Lent started!
This book is a charmer! It is a fictionalized account of Lady Mary Clive's memories of one Edwardian Christmas from her childhood. Evelyn, the main character is used to living alone with her nanny and sometimes her parents (when they aren't traveling). She longs to be sophisticated and grown up. One year while her parents are off in Scotland without her, her father falls sick and has to stay in a sanatorium for a few weeks. Her parents decide she'll spend Christmas at the country estate of one of their good friends, Lady Tamarlane who has many grandchildren. Evelyn meets one set of grandchildren on the train from the London, the Savages. Thus begins her exciting visit, though perhaps it is a lot to adjust to for a quiet girl who is used to being mostly with grown ups.
The narrator is honest and the children's characters and behaviors all ring true. The situations are comical and the whole book is just a delightful read. This would be suitable for late elementary on up to read independently. It would also make a cozy read aloud to the whole family during the Christmas season.
Two thumbs up! For more book reviews, go to Read 52 Books in 52 Weeks.
No comments:
Post a Comment