Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Advent School 2014

I miss when my kids were younger.  We used to change things up for Advent and do things like focus on art and poetry, read a new read aloud and do some activity or activities that reflected the season.  We stopped much of any academic work we were doing and just did what seemed right for Advent, which often included shopping, preparing for Christmas, cleaning the house and watching movies.

This year though with one in 10th grade and one in 8th, they both have to muscle through with outside classes during Advent.  Well, Becky has math and science with her tutor.  Sean has math with the same tutor, Physics class and American Literature class.

But I'd still like to switch things up a little for Advent:


  • Make the O Antiphons our copy work
  • Do my own Jesse tree and include the kids in on it (if they want).
  • Read Christmas poetry
  • Read The Man Born to be King by Dorothy L. Sayers through Advent and Christmas
  • Focus on learning prayers in Latin
  • Bake cookies
  • Help out with the Giving Tree at church
  • Help out the needy in some other way
  • Start the new RE dvd program I got for Becky (and for Sean as her sponsor)
  • Learn Advent hymns
  • Make gifts/shop for gifts
  • Deep clean the house - straighten study and basement for Christmas party
  • And finally this isn't for Advent but I have been thinking of having an open house brunch type thing for New Years Day.  I haven't done anything neighborly for years.  Maybe it's time.  We are getting new next door neighbors; in fact,  I am not even sure if they have moved in or not.
  • Almost forgot!  I'd like to watch our annual viewing of It's a Wonderful Life, but I'd also like to see Amahl and the Night Visitors and watch the movie Joyeux Noel, though I suppose the movies could be watched during the Christmas season and not necessarily Advent.



2 comments:

  1. Well, if you don't get your house clean in time, you can come to our annual New Year's Day Open House. I'll even let you pretend like you're the host...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, It's A Wonderful Life will probably be on the big screen at BowTie the 20th and 21st of December. It's really fun to watch it with a larger audience.

    ReplyDelete