Nope this isn't about the boy band from a decade ago, the full title is: Boys to Men; the Transforming Power of Virtue by Tim Gray and Curtis Martin. I first got this audio version of the book way back when my now 21 year son was about 13. I heard about it via Mater Amabilis. Since both Kathryn and Michele (creators of Mater Amabilis) have excellent taste in books and are really knowledgeable Catholics, I bought it for my son to listen to. He really enjoyed it. Then my now 18 year old listened to it when he was about 13. Alas, I forgot about it, when Sean reached the same age. Plus Sean just doesn't do audio books the way the other two did. So he missed out. But the other day (meaning a month ago?), I was cleaning through some old stacks of forgotten audiobooks and pulled this one out. I was kind of ashamed of myself for never having listened to it even though I had handed it on to two of my offspring, so I stuck it in the car and have been listening off and on for a few weeks.
This book is good. It is really good. I highly recommend it for young teens and up. It does talk a bit frankly about s@x but in such a great way. It is aimed at men so the examples and such are obviously meant for that audience, but it still has enormous value to, well, anybody. Because basically it is a book on how to live virtuously in this world. It sites many scripture passages, and many references to the Catholic catechism as well as quotes from saints and people like Aristotle. It is very clear, very well laid out, thorough, and completely accessible. It makes you think and it makes sense. I think it would be great for a teen study group.
In fact, I think I am going to encourage Sean to listen to it, even if audio books aren't really his thing.
For more book reviews, go to Read 52 Books in 52 Weeks.
No comments:
Post a Comment