Sunday, November 24, 2013

Deathbed Conversions - Book 51

This book, Deathbed Conversation; Finding Faith at the Finish Line is a new book by Karen Edmisten. I know Karen as an online friend. I've read her essays in other books and also her lovely, lovely book on the Rosary. Her books are slender but substantial. I always think of her as writing for busy moms who need encouragement in their faith but in small bites that are high in spiritual nutrition. She delivers that well!

Karen writes a lovely introduction that contained a quote that has been echoing in my head all week. It might be one of my favorite lines ever.

"Trying to neatly sum up what happens in the human heart is like trying to wrap your arms around a ray of light. You keep missing; you can't hold on; there's always dust."

Karen approaches each story in a gentle, nonjudgmental and factual way. She just tells the story. She doesn't draw the conclusions for us, but may suggest how the dots connect. These lives are often very messy, full of infidelity, and worse. These were some messed up people! But they all had their brilliance too, even if it was used in an evil way (I'm thinking of the murdering gangster Dutch Schultz.). Most are more of a mixed bag than Dutch. Most are considered successes by worldly standards: John Wayne, Gary Cooper, Patricia Neal, Kenneth Clark. Speaking of Kenneth Clark, I had no idea about him. I remember my mother watching and just loving his TV program, Civilisation. She had the book too. It began her self-education in art history, a passion she carried with her for the rest of her life. Over the years, I sometimes think to myself, I'd like to read the book, Civilisation. Now, after reencountering Kenneth Clark again in this book, I really want to.

Each little chapter tells the person's story with a little bibliography at the end. Karen writes clearly and succinctly; a real pleasure to read. I found it thought provoking and comforting at the same time.

Two thumbs up!

For more book reviews go to Read 52 Books in 52 Weeks.

2 comments:

  1. What a lovely post to find in Feedly today! :) Thank you, Faith. You made my day, and I'm so happy to hear that you liked the book. Fun, too, to know that it sparked a new interest for you, re. Kenneth Clark!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome! I enjoyed the book! Happy Thanksgiving!

      Delete