Sean and I read Henry V by William Shakespeare together for part of his 7th grade literature study. We watched the movie first and Sean wants to watch it again now that we've read the play. This is the Branagh version. I'd like to watch the Olivier one just to say I've seen it. I really don't like Olivier's acting all that much. I think he was too stiff and overacted, but I've heard he did this play well. I actually saw this play a long time ago at the Folger Theatre in Washington D.C. I think I was right out of college so it was over 25 years ago!
I love this story. It has that wonderful rousing St. Crispian's Day speech in it that gets anyone's blood up, even a non-violent kinda person like me! And it has the funny scenes in French. And it plays off the idea of Henry as one who grew into manhood when the duties of kingship were thrust upon him and his carefree, reckless days of youth were left behind. He is portrayed as strong and chivalrous, courageous and just. I do think Shakespeare could have edited down the bit about the glove, though. I thought it went on too long and took too long to make a point. But that's my only quibble. Here's some info on Henry V.
So two thumbs up from me! Go here for more book reviews.
Hi Faith,
ReplyDeleteWe LOVE Henry V! Yes, the Branagh version is excellent. It's our favourite. There are some bits missing from the Olivier version. Something to do with England being at war when this version was produced. Anything that showed the English king negatively was removed. It was all to do with increasing the morale of the English people. I hope I got all that right! Anyway, the play wasn't nearly as stirring as Branagh's version.
We just love Shakespeare. We are eagerly awaiting the arrival of Branagh's "Hamlet", the full 2 DVD edition.
When you've watched Olivier's "Henry V" post a review. I'd love to read it.
God bless!